South Arizona Avenue Corridor Improvements
Project Owner: City of Chandler
Project Type: Construction Manager at Risk
Construction Dates: 03/10 to 11/10
This streetscape reconstruction project from Frye Road to Chandler Boulevard included:
• Roadway improvements resulting in consistent four through lanes (two northbound and two southbound).
• Bike lanes on both sides of the street. Brick paver and lighted mid-block crosswalks.
• Storm drain improvements, new curb and gutter.
• Enhancement of the existing median between Boston Street and Chandler Boulevard and construction of flush medians at the intersections exclusively to accommodate left turns.
• Additional on-street parallel parking from the original 23 spaces to 81 spaces.
• Concrete seatwalls inlaid with polished glass and local artists’ tile work. Concrete art pads with LED uplights.
• Concrete pedestrian hardscape with significant embellishment of varying colors of crushed glass “ribbons” throughout to draw attention to focal points.
• New street/pedestrian light poles with curvilinear design which accommodate LED lighting and banners.
• Custom, artistic park fencing at A.J. Chandler Park. Street and wayfinding signage.
• Concrete pads with electrical and data provisions for future monument signage.
• New landscape and irrigation, preservation of historic trees and landscaping, and accompanying LED accent lighting.
• Site furnishings to include chairs, bistro tables, benches, bike racks, and trash receptacles.
• APS electrical modifications, upgrades and improvements. Traffic signal modifications.
• Electrical upgrades to accommodate vendor needs for the many regular events hosted in AJ Chandler Park.
• “Constructing for the future” by installing utility upgrades, additional underground conduit and crossings, as well as plumbing for a possible future signalized intersection, based on the City’s planned future development and desire to preclude disruption of this beautiful streetscape.
AWARD OF MERIT FOR ENVIRONMENTAL EXCELLENCE - SITE DEVELOPMENT AND LANDSCAPE (PUBLIC SECTOR CATEGORY)
Valley Forward Association
Project was among many that contributed to the
CRESCORDIA AWARD FOR ENVIRONMENTAL EXCELLENCE - LIVABLE COMMUNITIES (PUBLIC POLICY/PLANS CATEGORY)
Valley Forward Association
BUILD ARIZONA AWARD
Associated General Contractors,
ARIZONA PUBLIC WORKS
PROJECT OF THE YEAR
American Public Works Association,
GENERAL DESIGN AWARD
American Society of Landscape Architects, Arizona Chapter
MAKING ARIZONA COMPETITIVE
IN THE 21st CENTURY
American Planning Association,
International Downtown Association
AWARD OF MERIT - BEST LANDSCAPE/HARDSCAPE/URBAN DEVELOPMENT PROJECT
Engineering News-Record Southwest
ILLUMINATION AWARD OF MERIT
Illumination Engineering Society
Read a letter of commendation from the City of Chandler for our work on the Arizona Avenue project.
Client: City of Chandler, Arizona
Achen-Gardner Construction, LLC
Role on Project: Contractor / Construction Manager
TriStar Engineering & Management
Role on Project: Civil Engineering, Construction Administration
J2 Engineering and Environmental Design
Role on Project: Landscape Architecture, Irrigation Design, and Construction Administration
Role on Project: Public Involvement, Stakeholder Coordination and Public Outreach
Southwest Traffic & Engineering
Role on Project: Traffic Engineering and Lighting
Role on Project: Water and Sewer Infrastructure
Role on Project: Design Guidelines, Planning
Role on Project: Design Survey
ISS Grounds Control
• Street Lights, Pedestrian Lights, Traffic Signals & Auxiliary Power
European Pavers Southwest
• Brick Pavers
I.N.B.S., Artist – Joe Tyler
• A.J. Chandler Park Decorative Fence & Gates
• Concrete Walls & Seat Cap Grinding
Survey Innovation Group
• Construction Survey & Redesign Survey
• Refurbished Traffic Signal Poles
Progressive Concrete Works
• Actacrete Concrete Caps at Art Display Pads
• Lithocrete Recycled Glass Pavement:
Unit Precast Concrete Pavers
Fixed and Removable Security Bollards
• Cal Pipe
• Keystone Ridge Designs
• Landscape Forms
• Wabash Valley
• Grind to a Halt
Tree Grates and Guards
• Iron Age Designs
• Kalamazoo Materials
Concrete Planting Pots
• Kornegay Design
• Most Dependable Fountains
SHORT PROJECT DESCRIPTION: South Arizona Avenue Corridor Improvements is a streetscape project consisting of four-lane roadway improvements and wide pedestrian corridors from Frye Road to Chandler Boulevard and includes creatively designed hardscape and lighting elements as well as landscaping, on-street parking, bike lanes, traffic signal and APS point of service modifications, in roadway lighted crosswalks, and site furnishings.